- 1 Kings 18:17-40
Elijah challenges the priests of Baal to a contest
- 4-50 priests of Baal make sacrifices, even hurt themselves, to get Baal's attention
=> nothing happens after several hours
- Elijah prepares his sacrifice
=> He pours water on it three times, and prepares a moat to keep the water in
=> This makes the offering difficult to set fire to
- Elijah calls on God once
=> The Lord sent fire which not only consumed the wet offering, but also all the wood, the stones, the very dirt under the alter, and also took all the water!
- The people recognize God and worship him
- They destroy all the false prophets who had led them into idol worship.
- Competition between Elijah and Baal